Unleash Your Creativity With Book Arts
For ages 11-17
Instructor: Erica Goss, Director, Girls’ Voices Matter
Dates: July 12, 13, 14, 15, & 16, 2021.
Times: In-person and online: 11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. for in-person and online (via Zoom) options. Hybrid: 11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. M, W, F, via Zoom and 4:15-5:15 p.m. T-Th in-person.
- In-person classes: Girls’ Voices Matter: Galleria at the Smith, 768 E 13 Ave, Eugene, OR 97401, #23 upstairs. COVID-19 PROTOCOLS, INCLUDING MASKING, SOCIAL DISTANCING AND HAND SANITIZING STRICTLY OBSERVED.
The in-person option is limited to no more than 4 students.
- Hybrid classes: at home via Zoom on alternating days AND at Girls’ Voices Matter: Galleria at the Smith, 768 E 13 Ave, Eugene, OR 97401, #23 upstairs. COVID-19 PROTOCOLS, INCLUDING MASKING, SOCIAL DISTANCING AND HAND SANITIZING STRICTLY OBSERVED.
The hybrid option is limited to no more than 4 students.
- Online classes will be held remotely via Zoom.
Online classes are limited to no more than 8 students.
Supplies and equipment:
- For students attending via the in-person and hybrid options, Girls’ Voices Matter supplies all supplies and equipment.
- Students attending via Zoom must provide their own supplies and equipment. Click here for supply list.
Unleash your creativity with book arts, are a fantastic, fun art form. Making books teaches students how to make their own, unique work of art: a beautiful book. Students choose the cover design, measure, cut, and assemble their books, and fill them however they wish.
1. Introduction to Book Arts
Fold, cut & stitch a variety of unique, handmade books! Looking at their amazing variety, we discover the creations of artists, writers, travelers, and many others. It’s amazing to learn how many people make their own books. Observing the work of book artists such as Gwen Diehn, we see how a handmade book enhances everyday life.
2. The basic folded book
In this simple lesson, students make a small book from one sheet of 8×11″ paper. These little books are a fun and rewarding introduction to book arts.
3. The 6-page, grommet-tied book
More complex than the basic folded book, this project uses watercolor paper, glue, grommets, and other tools.
4. The 12-page multi-pamphlet book
This is our main project. Making the 12-page multi-pamphlet book will take several days. Students will have a beautiful, one-of-a-kind book to fill with their own writing, sketches, paintings, and whatever else they come up with.
Students will add to their books, using collages, rubber stamps, colored pens, and other ephemera.
6. Art Show!
Here’s your chance to show everyone what you made! What were the hardest parts? What did you learn? Tell us how you made your books.