Digital Photography 101
This entry-level workshop will take you through the basics of easy-to-access digital photography. Students will learn many simple and enjoyable photography techniques. For example, they’ll find out how to make interesting backgrounds to enhance their photos with things they already have on hand. As a result of taking the course, they’ll discover the amazing history of photography, including women’s many important contributions to the art form.
First of all, we’ll go over the history of photography, from camera obscura to the first instant camera. Then, we’ll look at basic concepts such as exposure, metering, depth of field, and zoom. We’ll take our cameras outside and learn about landscapes, light, and negative space. We’ll also take pictures of people, who are the most popular subject for photography.
Highlights of the course:
- How the digital camera works. Did you know that a typical digital camera has over a thousand parts?
- Simple DIY projects. For example, students will make their own glitter photo.
- How to use digital photography to tell stories.
- How to take a great selfie.
- The uses of black-and-white photography.
We will also look at the often-neglected work of female photographers from the past and present. For example, not many people know about Anna Atkins, a British woman, who published the first book of photographs.
You might also enjoy “40 Awesome DIY Photography Hacks.”
What Will I Learn?
- A brief survey of the history of photography
- Learn fun photography techniques
- How to make interesting backgrounds
- Some simple DIY projects to enhance photos
- Female photographers' work
- Ways to enhance creativity through photography